New Immigration Program Offers Two Categories of Immigrants – Nationality and Occupation

talent stream

With the intention to attract the best and brightest young talent from around the world, the Government of Canada has introduced the Global Talent Stream. Under the new program, eligible foreign professionals wishing to reside in Canada will be granted permanent residency once they have passed the citizenship examination. The program is aimed at reducing the average waiting period for immigration status in Canada by almost three years. To achieve this goal, it is estimated that close to one million immigrants will be admitted into the country over the next decade.


Canada immigration authorities have also introduced two categories of people that will enjoy the benefits of the Global talent stream. The first is the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) category, who are temporary workers who have been accepted to Canada under the Federal Economic programs of the Government of Canada. These workers must have a relevant work experience, which can be verified by providing relevant certificates and/or training certificates. The second category of immigrant workers is the International Experience Class (IEC), who are skilled workers who have been accepted to Canada under the International Mobility Programs of the Government of Canada. Although these two categories have similar characteristics, employers and professionals must still apply through the specialized class of immigrant workers.


As a part of the Global Talent Stream Program, foreign professionals wishing to relocate to Canada must first establish their credentials by participating in a designated partner training provider’s course. After achieving the education requirement, the designated partners will then be subjected to an interview process in which they will be declared eligible to participate in the talent stream. Canadian immigration authorities will issue temporary resident status to the immigrant after the completion of the training. Once the immigrant is permitted to reside in the country, he or she will be required to register with the local Employment and Immigration department.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *